GE Appliances, a Haier company Quality Improvement Engineer in Louisville, Kentucky
USA, Louisville, KY
Job Posting Title
Quality Improvement Engineer
The Quality Improvement Engineer (QIE) executes operational and strategic efforts focused on product quality improvement, with primary oversight of the product/component testing and manufacturing control plan (MCP) auditing processes in an assigned manufacturing area supporting the Plastics CoE.
What you will Do
Collaborate with factory operations team to improve product quality through the identification and elimination of root cause of issues. Utilize Lean manufacturing concepts to facilitate the success and validation of manufacturing processes. Communicate opportunities and project status with Quality Subsystem Leader (QSL) and cross-functionally.
Respond to abnormalities in product and component testing results.
Coach Team Leaders to ensure escalation processes are followed for quality-related issues.
Partner with plant operations personnel to promote a team that reacts aggressively to factory inefficiencies, and escalates issues as necessary, to drive their resolution.
Live, promote and support the Appliance Performance System (APS) philosophy and drive continuous improvement in the quality area.
Work with QSL to drive selection of Critical to Quality characteristics (CTQs) to the vital few. Implement the appropriate measurement method on selected CTQs.
Work with QSL to determine projects & quarterly goals to improve yield, scrap, SCR and other COQ’s.
Work with QSL and PIE’s to prioritize funding/resources.
Support work station documentation process; create, update and maintain Manufacturing Control Instructions (MCI’s), visual aid and alerts (single point lessons) as needed.
Provide guidance to the broad New Product Introduction (NPI) team regarding manufacturing process capabilities for application to new designs, processes or geometries. Evaluate and implement new testing technologies to support new product innovations, while improving outgoing quality.
Own all aspects of the testing process, including data analysis to drive yield, COQ and scrap metrics as defined in goals & objectives. Drive escalation of product, process, part and/or tester issues. Ensure MCI/MCP is followed and audit the test process & the pass/fail limits. Work with the PIE’s and Technology to drive immediate actions/projects to improve metrics.
Oversee calibration and PM of process validation of test equipment and gauges. Oversee maintenance of all test equipment including CMM, if applicable.
Coordinate with subsystem and testing teams to modify/improve testing logic. Work with Change Control Team to coordinate deviations and issue BCR if changes are implemented.
Provide technical ownership to drive the development, procurement and implementation of factory quality measurement systems including gaging, test equipment, go/no-go decisions, and coordinate measurement (CMM) test systems.
Analyze data as part of Statistical Process Control (SPC) and implement escalation plans as required by MCI/MCP. Create SPC for key metrics per the MCP. Monitor data trends and identify root cause if out of control and lead corrective actions.
Provide technical ownership to drive the development, procurement and implementation of factory quality measurement systems including gaging, test equipment, go/no-go decision and coordinate measurement (CMM) test systems.
Serve as back-up to QSL as BCR approver.
What you need to Succeed
· Experience with manufacturing quality/ quality improvement projects and/or process improvement in a fast-paced, high volume manufacturing environment
· Experience with Lean manufacturing principles
· Ability to work in large cross-functional teams and at multiple levels in the organization (both salaried and shop floor operators / skilled trades team members)
· Good communication skills – will be expected to provide program report outs to cross-functional team.
· Good organizational, project management and presentation skills to interact with all levels within the organization and with suppliers and vendors
· Demonstrated ability to take ownership of cross-functional program deliverables and ability to drive decisions based on the overall benefit to the company
· Leadership experience or has played a lead role in the definition, design, implementation and troubleshooting of quality and/or manufacturing processes.
· Project tracking and detailed planning skills required.
· Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or related discipline OR equivalent 3 years’ hands on experience in manufacturing quality disciplines
· 3 years of experience with manufacturing quality/NPI quality projects and process improvement
· Experience interpreting data to solve problems associated with high volume, short cycle manufacturing of consumer products.
· Ability to work within large cross-functional teams and at multiple levels in the organization (both salaried and shop floor operators / skilled trades team members).
· Experience in development or sustaining of instrumented electromechanical equipment.
· Excellent communication, presentation and facilitation skills Technical Degree or equivalent experience.
· Demonstrated ability to drive continuous improvement in a manufacturing environment.
· Computer literate and skilled in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Auto Cad, Minitab and Outlook.
· Six Sigma Certified
· Quality Leadership experience
· Lean Manufacturing experience
· Experience in appliance or similar high volume manufacturing processes
· Working conditions are normal for a high-volume manufacturing environment.
· Working in this environment requires the use of safety equipment to include but not limited to; eye safety glasses, hearing protectors, work boots, and hardhats.
· These roles will require frequent walking in a manufacturing plant environment.
· Travel (up to 20%) to suppliers and other manufacturing locations as needed.
· This position will be located in Louisville, KY.
· Hours & Weekends: Working off-shift and weekends may be required.
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.